President Obama will release his new budget proposal next week and despite his promises to protect Social Security benefits, it is said to include the chained CPI. This new method of calculating the cost of living adjustment will result in lower benefits to seniors each year. If you’re on Social Security, you already know about this. You can express your displeasure by contacting the White House directly.
- Obama enrages progressives with rumored budget cuts to Social Security (tv.msnbc.com)
- AARP poll: Seniors loathe chained CPI proposal (dailykos.com)
- Liberals groups threaten primaries over Obama budget (salon.com)
- Chained, chained, chained (economist.com)
- Dean Baker Statement on the Chained CPI and the President’s Budget (anirrationalviewoftheirrational.wordpress.com)