Hyundai ‘Pipe Job’ ad a deadly serious mistake
Below is a commercial from Hyundai called “Pipe Job.” It was intended to promote the Hyundai ix35, an eco-friendly fuel cell car with “100% water emissions.”
The ad shows a man going into his closed garage and running a hose from his car’s tailpipe to its passenger compartment. He then gets into the car, takes a few deep breaths, and closes his eyes. A few hours later the garage light comes on, the door opens, and the man walks out.
The shocked reaction was immediate and profound. One particularly heartbreaking example: An open letter to Innocean and Hyundai. And as if the author’s distress weren’t bad enough, look at some of the comments. There are some cruel, cruel people in this world. And some really sick, ignorant ad copywriters.
The ad appeared on YouTube and outrage from consumers and suicide prevention groups caused Hyundai to pull the ad today and issue this statement:
Hyundai Motor deeply and sincerely apologizes for the offensive viral ad. The ad was created by an affiliate advertising agency, Innocean Europe, without Hyundai’s request or approval. It runs counter to our values as a company and as members of the community. We are very sorry for any offense or distress the video caused. More to the point, Hyundai apologizes to those who have been personally impacted by tragedy.
Let’s hope that one or more former Innocean employees are on the street tonight looking for new jobs and that the current generation of advertising copywriters has learned an unforgettable lesson in sensitivity.
Oh, and Innocean might want to consider changing their tag line, currently “Making Waves.”
- Hyundai apologizes for ‘offensive’ ad of attempted suicide (thestar.com)
- Hyundai’s Lazy Suicide Ad (humesbastard.wordpress.com)
- Hyundai pulls ad that plays suicide for laughs (money.cnn.com)
- Suicide is funny, says Hyundai ad (news.cnet.com)
- Hyundai Suicide Ad Pulled by Company: Reports (theepochtimes.com)
- Hyundai disavows any involvement in ‘ill-conceived’ suicide attempt ad (business.financialpost.com)
- The Hyundai ‘Suicide’ Commercial and Other Adventures in Tasteless Advertising (VIDEO) (manolith.com)