London’s new tower not my cup of tea
It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s a roller coaster? No, it’s the “ArcelorMittal Orbit” observation tower in London, focal point of this year’s Olympic park. CNN has posted a photo gallery and story, if you want all the details. Now Europe’s tallest sculpture, the tower is 22m taller than the Statue of Liberty and cost £24 million. For folks who don’t speak metric, that’s 72 feet and $36.5 million and change, I think.
Sorry, London. It does nothing for me. It’s just a giant undisciplined mess. But hey, hope your games are great anyway.
- Touch the sky: Anish Kapoor unveils UK’s tallest sculpture (rt.com)
- Orbit Tower unveiled at London’s Olympic Park (cnn.com)
- Orbit tower at London Olympics site completed (cbsnews.com)
- Eiffel, eyesore? London’s tower for Games done (espn.go.com)
- London 2012 Olympics: officials unveil the ‘Orbit’ tower (vancouversun.com)