Alarming NYT photo from Texas
The New York Times “Evening Briefing” last night featured this photo with a story about the ongoing winter weather disaster in Texas. I hope desperately that it was staged, because very obvious in the foreground is a small charcoal grill — a perfect carbon monoxide generator. Charcoal grills must NEVER be used indoors for this very reason.
Also, in freezing weather, you’d want those curtains covering that glass door as snugly as possible to retain heat and keep out cold. But that wouldn’t make much of a picture, would it? And why isn’t that woman wearing a coat or some kind of extra layer of clothing?
I count five people in the photo, five lives in real danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. And if the photo was staged, there should have been accompanying text explaining this is an example of what NOT to do in freezing weather.